Unity Worldwide Ministries
The following is a list of the current Ministry Teams serving Unity Worldwide Ministries.
If you feel led to share your gifts and talents with one of these teams please fill out the ministry team sign up form and send it to Cathy Christy at CChristy@unity.org.
- Collaborate as a team using the spiritual principles taught by Unity.
- During discussions and decision-making, any member may request time for prayer about the issue. Upon request, the chair will provide a period of prayer and silence.
- Support UWM Vision, Mission and Strategic Plan
- If funding for a project is needed, it must fit into the current budget or plans must be created on how the money will be raised, again working in conjunction with UWM and the strategic plan.
- Create a system of commitment and be responsive to that team commitment
Purpose: This ministry team assumes responsibility for the evaluation of ministerial candidate applications and interviewing applicants for entrance into UWM’s Unity Ministry Path.
Chair: Diana Taylor | Staff Rep: Lynn O'Dell | Board Liaison: Sharon Ketchum
Purpose: Develop means to engage colleagues in nominating credentialed Unity leaders for high profile Unity Worldwide Ministries’ awards, e.g. Charles Fillmore, Myrtle Fillmore, Light of God Expressing, and, Foundation Award; to receive and evaluate the nominations received in order to recommend the most qualified individuals to the UWM Board of Trustees.
Chair: Julie Armour | Staff Rep: Cathy Christy | Board Liaison: Tom Armour
Purpose: Assumes responsibility for annual review of competitive health and pension plans.
Chair: Morgan Barclay | Staff Rep: Bruce Verkruyse | Board Liaison: Toni Fish
Purpose: (1) We create recommended bylaws and structural documents that describe agreements among ministry leaders, board and church membership about how they will make decisions, use church resources, and fulfill the mission of the church; (2) our recommended bylaws and related documents provide the framework for healthy, growing, thriving ministries to accomplish their goals; and, (3) review and make recommended changes to the bylaws of Unity Worldwide Ministries that support the fulfillment of the vision, mission, and values it holds.
Chair: Diane Sickler | Staff Rep: Cathy Christy | Board Liaison: Tom Armour
Purpose: Provide pastoral care to credentialed Unity leaders who seek it and to offer pastoral support and care to credentialed leaders who come to the team’s attention as having pastoral care needs; including hospicing and rapid response.
Chair: Julie Armour | Staff Rep: Carrie Kenyon | Board Liaison: Myra McFadden
Purpose: To provide inspirational forums for our UWM to further our mission to create and support vibrant, diverse Unity leaders and communities that foster transformation and inspire people to make a positive difference in our world.
Chair: Open | Staff Rep: Debbie Allen & Lou Olivieri | Board Liaison: UWM Board Chair & 1st Vice-Chair
Purpose: Out of our desire for thriving diverse credentialed leaders, the purpose of our Credentialing Team is to build bridges and collaborate with teams and schools to – (1) identify clear standards for our credentialing process; and, (2) ensure that candidates are equipped to meet those standards and to function as effective credentialed leaders.
Chair: David Mosher | Staff Rep: Lynn O'Dell | Board Liaison: John McMahon
Purpose: The Unity EarthCare Team supports Unity Worldwide Ministries in fostering the awareness of our spiriutal oneness with our Earth home and promoting active care of creation.
Chair: Ron Habin | Staff Rep: Carrie Kenyon | Board Liaison: Beth English
Ethics Review System
Purpose: Establish guidelines, requirements and standards for providing a supportive and compassionate peer review of complaints of ethical violations including sexual misconduct by Unity credentialed leaders, and/or ethical violations by Unity ministries. Competency issues are not reviewed by this team.
Chair: Sharon Allmond | Staff Rep: Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, Cathy Christy | Board Liaison: Toni Fish
Purpose: Lay a foundation of support and create pathways of viability and sustainability for the new evolving/alternative Unity ministries and their ministers/spiritual leaders as they form, grow, and mature to full status: (1) reevaluating present processes for approving new ministries; (2) exploring the possibility of eliminating the category of expansion ministries, and approving new ministries as full status ministries; (3) continue to support ministries in the evolutionary/development process – we will just not approve them until they have met the requirements for membership; and, (4) explore and share new forms of doing ministry, and innovative ways of sharing the Unity message.
Chair: Pat Ball | Staff Rep: Carrie Kenyon | Board Liaison: Chris Ashe
Field Licensing Policy Team
Purpose: Program for achieving recognition as a licensed and eventually ordained Unity minister for those person who are currently employed as spiritual leaders of recognized Unity ministries.
Co-Chair: Shawn Moninger | Staff Rep: Lynn O'Dell | Board Liaison: Toni Fish
Finance and Budget
Purpose: Assumes responsibility to review, recommend, and monitor the fiscal affairs of UWM to ensure good financial management of all funds.
Chair: John McMahon | Staff Rep: Bruce Verkruyse | Board Liaison: Tom Armour
Global Initiative for Interfaith & Multicultural Connections
Purpose: To promote local, national, and international goodwill and cooperation in expanding common ground. This is a time in our history when the Unity movement can be a unifying voice in a diverse spiritual and cultural world.
Chair: Victoria Etchemendy | Board Liaison: open | Staff Rep: open
Health and Wholeness
Purpose: To develop programs/provide opportunities that promote physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and wholeness for spiritual leaders and ministers of Unity. This team will offer programs at convention and also offer support and suggestions to other conference team leaders such as the regional conferences.
Chair: Edith Washington-Woods | Staff Rep: Diana Kennedy | Board Liaison: Barry Vennard
Helping Unity Grow (HUG)
Purpose: Provide financial assistance to Unity ministries for expansion and growth of the individual ministry and ultimately the Unity movement.
Chair: Shad Groverland | Board Liaison: Tim Alderman | Staff Rep: Bruce Verkryuse
Purpose: Provides support to the co-creation of a world that works for all. This is accomplished through the following intentions: (1) to serve as a connecting agent to support the creation of beneficial relationships within the International Unity movement; and, (2) to allow UWM members to identify and share actions and resources that will result in a greater good for Unity ministries, leadership, and the Unity movement worldwide.
Chair: Lisa Davis | Staff Rep: Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, Deborah Frownfelter | Board Liaison: Tim Lytle
Purpose: Evaluate applications for licensing and ordination of ministerial candidates and licensing of teachers residing outside the United States.
Chair: Open | Staff Rep: Cynthia Vermillion-Foster
Leadership Recruitment Development Team [LRDT]
Purpose: Search out qualified active leaders who are committed to the mission, vision, goals, values and beliefs of UWM. This ministry team is empowered by UWM to select candidates for election to the Board of Trustees and for election to the Leadership Recruitment and Development Team.
Chair: Anna Andes | Staff Rep: Cathy Christy | Board Liaison: 1st Vice-Chair
Licensed Unity Teachers
Purpose and Team Chair To Be Determined.
Licensing & Ordination [L&O]
Purpose: Assumes the responsibility for evaluating ministerial education candidates to assure that the Unity movement is served by effective, spiritually conscious, committed ministers. Evaluating the progress and readiness of candidates for licensing and ordination.
Chair: David Mosher (in June 2018 - Brenda Ehret) | Staff Rep: Lynn O'Dell, Deborah Frownfelter | Board Liaison: Richard Bunch
Purpose: Supply a variety of high quality music and music resources for building and maintaining strong music ministries and for training enlightened and knowledgeable music ministers.
Chair: David Ezell | Staff Rep: Open | Board Liaison: Sharon Ketchum
Purpose: Assure standards of professional excellence for UWM that further our mission to create and support vibrant, diverse, spiritual leaders and communities that foster transformation and inspire people to make a positive difference in our world.
- act as a vehicle for feedback for UWM’s Board of Trustees regarding the impact and implementation of UWM policies and procedures in the field ministries;
- review and/or develop and recommend policies and procedures;
- evaluate the professional qualification and competence of ministers and others who apply for “other paths” leading to ordination and that are referred to the Standards Ministry Team;
- review and make decisions for ministers or ministries requesting restoration.
Chair: Pat Bessey | Staff Rep: Cathy Christy, Cynthia Vermillion-Foster | Board Liaison: Doris Hoskins
To request to participate in a team, contact Cathy Christy at 816.434.6841. Click here for a ministry team sign up form.
Regional Advisory Council
Co-Chairs: Terry Murray & Rich Broderhausen
Board Liaisons: Sharon Ketchum & Toni Fish
Staff Rep: Cathy Christy
- Facilitate communication inter-regionally with regional board peers in order to share best practices, create personal connection, and collaborate on how to meet common needs, identify common interests, and solve common problems facing regions.
- Be a vehicle for regional boards and members to connect and communicate with our Unity Worldwide Ministries Board and Unity Worldwide Ministries Leadership Team as an ongoing practice in order to clarify understanding, solve problems, share ideas, and offer suggestions and recommendations for consideration to our Unity Worldwide Ministries Board.
- Communicate to our Unity Worldwide Ministries Board support, questions, or concerns related to the field impact of current or potential decisions and policies being deliberated or adopted by Unity Worldwide Ministries Board.
International Advisory Council
Chair: Laura Bennett
Board Liaison: Tim Lytle
Staff Rep: Cynthia Vermillion-Foster
Purpose: To come together as the Council of International Leaders in Unity to pray, to share ideas, to create projects and proposals, and to advise and work with the Unity Worldwide Ministries Board of Trustees to further the International Unity Movement.
Description: The IAC would help inform Unity Worldwide Ministries (staff, board and constituents) on matters that pertain to Unity in different world areas. This advisory group would have regular and ongoing input to the UWM Board. The council would help facilitate communication with other world areas and assist in tracking/supporting the international work of Unity. As stated below, the IAC would also increase UWM’s worldview in supporting international ministries to work in ways that are most effective in their respective cultures, trusting the wisdom of those who work in those cultures and learning from them as well.
Education Advisory Group
Chair & Board Liaison: Beth English
Staff Rep: Deborah Frownfelter
- Support the existing credentialing program
- Explore growth opportunities and guidelines for the future
- Research potential partnerships with outside organizations and grant funding.
Task Team members are chosen by the Board to serve.
Annual Summit Task Team
Co-Chairs & Board Liaisons: Doris Hoskins & John McMahon
Staff Rep: Cathy Christy
Purpose: Create a structure for an annual summit that showcases Unity around the country, involving Unity leaders in contributing ideas and actions that forward the mission and vision of the Unity movement.
Application Review Task Team
Chair & Board Liaison: Tim Alderman
Staff Rep: Bruce Verkruyse, Cynthia Vermillion-Foster
Purpose: Re-establish clear guidelines for pastoral ordinations; and, new guidelines once approved will be posted on the UWM website.
Ethics Review System Task Team
Chair: Sharon Allmond
Board Liaison: Toni Fish
Staff Rep: Cynthia Vermillion-Foster
- Outsource ethical allegations that have statutory implications
- Re-evaluate the decision not to review competency concerns, and, create a peer review process that explores these concerns and supports higher functioning of all members, ministers, and ministries
- Send all legal allegations to the authorities for discernment.
Chair: Julie Armour
Board Liaison: Richard Bunch
Staff Rep: Cathy Christy, Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, Carrie Kenyon
- Research, explore, analyze, and define how Unity ministries will evolve and provide innovative spiritual education and services during the next twelve years (2030)
- Share a vision of how the role of UWM, ministers and ministries will shift to meet the needs of a changing society
- Suggest opportunities for UWM to support our ministers and ministries to be evolving, diverse and dynamic individuals and centers that attract the non-churched and non-religious
- Recommend the use of present and future technology for expanding the growth of Unity worldwide.
Membership Task Team
Co-Chairs: Rachel Simpson & David McArthur
Board Liaison: Chris Ashe, Tom Armour
Staff Rep: Bruce Verkruyse
Ideas this team will be exploring:
- What is the nature of UWM – what are we in essence; should UWM leave its original concept of a voluntary association, with members having only minimal obligations to each other, and consciously move towards the concept of a membership organization, where members are more accountable to one other
- What does accountability look like, from members to each other, and leadership to members; what forms does it take, in particular, with respect to financial accountability; consequences – what is the best way to encourage accountability; what are the range of options for consequences for those who choose not to comply with decisions made at conventions and implemented by the board and staff.